Here I'd like to share my simple way of sewing apron for the kids. My son is 2 years 5 month, so the size I made may fit to kid with the same age. I believe you can make perfect size for your kids :). Of course this tutorial is not the best one, if you have better and more creative way of sewing apron for kid, I would be very happy to hear from you :)
So, here is my tutorial:
1. You will need. Two kinds of fabric, I used patterned curduroy for the outer and plaid cotton fabric for the lining. I choose a metal fastener instead of velcro, but you still can use velcro as another choice :). Another material are, paper or used newspaper and pen for making pattern, and sewing kits, as you can see in the picture below.
3. Pin your cut pattern to the fabric. I also made a pattern for pocket. Just a simple 15x10 cm rectangle pattern, you can make it more creative way, like cat or cupcake shaped pattern. Do the same to the lining fabric. You also need to cut three pieces of 30x4.5cm outer fabric, these going to be the straps, and a piece of 10x4.5 fabric for the fastener, if you use metal fastener as mine.
4.So, here are the cut fabric (I forgot to put the short strap for fastener in this picture).
5. Start by putting the pocket pieces right side together, pin and sew around the edge. DON'T FORGET TO LEAVE A GAP to turn the fabric later. Then, continue by sewing the strap, fold the fabric, secure with pin, sew around, and leave a gap to turn it out.
6. Turn all your pieces out through the gap, press with iron.
7. Sew the strap to the right front side of apron (start 1cm front the edge of the fabric).
8. Put together two pieces of apron fabric, right side together, sew around and leave a gap. Turn the fabric out, press with iron.
9. Sew the pocket right in the middle of the apron.
10. Now, your apron is ready.
I hope the tutorial is clear enough for you. If you want to ask about something, kindly drop a comment, I'll try my best to answer it :).
Now, should we bake with the little chef? :)